Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The age of radio

I enjoyed exploring the website www.otr.com especially "Comedy Central." When I was done acquiring some background information I contacted my Gramma, who was 12 when she heard the Orson Welles'- War of the Worlds broadcast. She wouldn't admit to being afraid, but quickly threw a few others under the bus.

After discussing the impact radio had on my Gramma I was still somewhat surprised. She really impressed upon the point that radio was truly the only source of not only news but also entertainment. It's one thing to listen to a documentary about it, it's another thing to hear a first hand account of what life was like in the age of the radio. She told me how after a long day attending a catholic school, she'd be outside playing until it was time to come inside for dinner. The radio wasn't allowed to be listened by anyone other than her father until after dinnertime. She spent her nights as a single child sitting around the radio with her parents until it was time to go to bed. Hearing these experiences is really shocking to me! Life without the television and computer seems so distant to me, because it is.

No comments: