Sunday, September 21, 2008

Looking into Damien Hirst

Strange, yet brilliant. While I was uneasy in viewing Damien Hirst's renowned masterpieces, I found a true appreciation to how he connects Biology to art to beautifully. His works are first of all enormous and so mind-boggling it's hard to understand what was going through his mind while he was making them all. I would have to consider Damien Hirst not only a unique artist, but a scientist as well. When I saw his piece "Hymn" which he produced in 1996, I felt as though I was back in a biography class. I also found the cow production interesting. I liked the way he left the inside open so whomever is viewing the piece can actually see inside. He gives an artistic view to real life biology.

However, Hirst's piece, "For the Love of God," more commonly known as the the 100,000 dollar skull by far is my favorite. It is absolutely amazing. When I first saw it I was mesmerized by how skilled one would have to be to attach so many tiny diamonds to a human skull. When I researched online it said that the skull was studded with 8,601 diamonds!!!!!! When I was admiring pictures I actually found something quite amusing. Someone took Hirst's idea and covered a skull in ice cream sprinkles. Check it out.... http://www.augengallery.com/Artists/Riswold/damien_hirst.jpg

Hirst is truly one of the most bizarre, yet key catching and thought provoking artists I've seen.

No comments: