Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Clockwork Orange

Wow! Where do I begin...

After watching Stanley Kubick's 2001-A Space Odyssey I could see how his mind truly took full advantage of what would become in the future. He displayed somewhat outrageous, yet funny possibilities for technology. Between the space plane, grip shoes, and even the accessibility of calling from space, the movie truly displayed huge jumps for technology.

Yet, this movie was not what caught my eye. My full attention was directed towards Kubick's film A Clockwork Orange, which was released in 1971. First off, it was totally not what I had expected after viewing 2001-A Space Odyssey. It was an absolutely brilliant, very edgy film. Yes, some of the violence became excessive and explicit, but the idea behind the film was perfect in comparison to the timing it was released. As most know or have heard of the 70's as the age of experimenting. Drugs were EVERYWHERE, which made this film fit right in. Having never personally been on acid, LCD, or anything of that sort I can't understand all that is behind the film, so in the beginning I was hesitant to actually enjoy the purpose behind the film. The very graphic scene where the men break into the home showed a true form of art, by incorporating the skit "Singing in the rain" which dated back 20 years prior. Overall, I would have enjoyed viewing the entire movie, so possibly I'll rent it? I found it similar to the modern day film Requiem for a Dream which is also brilliant!

No comments: