Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What an Opera paper...

DONE!!!! That is all I've got to say after writing a three page SINGLE SPACED paper about opera! What a challenge! I didn't know where to begin or end, but now that it's done it feels rather nice. Aida was my opera of choice, well somewhat. The man in the library actually told me to check it out, and since I had no idea about any other type of operas I figured why not? It was challenging to watch because of the subtitles, I really just can't get past that to sit and enjoy an opera. Maybe I'm just more of a Broadway type of person?

Anyways, thankfully were done watching operas in class and now get to watch films about Broadway which I love!!!! The film documentary Broadway- The American Musical has been truly intriguing to watch. It is obvious that sex sells, but I was shocked at how much of an impact sex had even back in the early 1900's! The pace of change for women was what really took me by surprise. Eight short years and these women were wearing two completely different styles of clothing. It was like a whole new woman! It wasn't just dress either, it was they now smoked drank and even had shorter hair! Everything about these women had changed.

Another part of the film I found interesting was how "black faced" performers. The idea that white men would paint their faces black and speak with ridiculous southern accents to caricature black culture. All because black men were not allowed on stage. Oh how the times have changes. It seems like now it's rare to see white people on stage.

The film was really informative and taught me a lot of not just the history of Broadway, but some history of the culture in New York City.

Because Grease is one of my favorite plays on Broadway I'll leave you all with this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs8ggb_XMh4

No comments: