Thursday, September 4, 2008

Opera again... can all find an appreciation?

After reviewing my notes from Tuesdays class and posting late I've found myself with so much more to say after today's class. It has been hard for me to locate this 'technology' that is consistently revealed, because my immediate thought about technology isn't completely accurate. Yet beyond the Internet, television, etc. opera revealed many different forms of technology. These forms included: what was part of the setting, the decor used, and especially the lighting. As I began to appreciate the technical aspect of the opera, I could better appreciate what was occurring throughout the act. In the opera Lucia there were exuberant costumes, the set was amazing, and the lighting went perfectly with what was being depicted. It's truly shocking how someone can extend their vocals so unbelievably without a microphone. Once again it's all technique!

I found myself interested how the operas have evolved throughout the 19th century all because the cultural changes. Sigmund Freud the "father of psychology" made it more acceptable to let the mind travel more broadly. World War I took away the "ideal" and romanticism of war, leaving behind the reality of hard times and death. It is true to say that opera permeates through pop culture, yet those my age actually be willing to understand this significant part of historic culture? Personally, I would say no. Yet, would you disagree?

No comments: